There are many quick and simple ways to improve and maintain your home as well as save you hundreds of dollars. You don't need to be an expert or have years of experience to perform some simple maintenance. Most Hardware stores have experienced tradies or well trained staff that can offer free and accurate advise.
Below are some Hints and Tips that can make you look like a professional.
- Know your limits, to many repairs are due to home owners going beyond their capabilities. Some times paying someone to do it is cheaper than paying someone to fix what you've done. Many repairers offer free quotes and in most cases will also give free advise. My company for one offers this service
- A stripped screw can turn 10-minute fix into a two-hour nightmare. One of the best investments a DIY'er can make is a screw extraction kit. It comes with different size bits and costs about $20.
- You can avoid stripping screws by making sure you have the correct size screw driver or driver bit
- There is the right tool for every job, having the right tool will go a long way to ensuring a successful project
- Cleaning the Air Conditioner filters will improve performance and air flow as well as reducing running costs. In most cases hosing them off is all that is needed.
- There is always a reason or cause for mould, cleaning or painting over it will not get rid of the problem. STOP the cause and you WILL stop the problem
- You don't always have to get new kitchen cupboards, in some cases removing the laminate and painting using the correct paint and technics can save yo thousands.
- Leaking taps can cost you money, for less than $10 you can buy new tap washers and changing them is one of the easiest home maintenance tasks that everyone can complete
- Clean the aerator on your taps regularly, dirty or blocked aerators can affect water pressure
- When painting walls and ceilings, roll in the opposite direction without dipping the roller in the tray to remove roller marks
- Even when applying the same colour of paint, 2 coats are always better than 1
- When painting over a water stain, you MUST use a sealer undercoat, if you don't the stain WILL be noticeable
- Getting your grout checked and maintained every 2 years can save you thousands and avoid having to renovate the entire bathroom. Re grouting and re sealing can save the need to completely redo the bathroom
- Fixing loose and hollow sounding tiles when you notice the first one is another way avoid spending thousands